Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Shutter Gray Milk Paint Project

     Today I want to share a another quick project I did with Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint. There is a larger project that I plan on doing in the future, but I am having trouble deciding what color and finish I want to use on it, so for now I am experimenting with different colors, color combinations, and finishes on smaller items.
     This was a small wooden stool that my father-in-law had for many years. It's been sitting in a closet unused for quite some time, so I decided to give it a new look.


     As you can see it was dark, old, drab, scratched, and worn. Perfect item to update with fresh color. For this project I chose shutter gray milk paint. Since the existing finish on the stool was scuffed and I wasn't concerned if the milk paint chipped, I decided not to use the bonding agent.
     Shutter gray is a light gray color with bluish undertones. Since to color is on the lighter side, and the original stain was dark, it required two coats of paint to get the coverage I wanted. The paint only chipped in one tiny area on the edge. I think because the wood was so old and dry, the milk paint just absorbed in with barely any chipping.

       I decided to use hemp oil as the finish on this project. Once again, I debated on using the clear furniture wax or one of the colored waxes to give it an antique or white washed look. However, I really liked the shade the way it was, and decided to just let the hemp oil enhance the color.
     Sometimes the stool looks gray and sometimes it looks like a light blue, depending on the lighting or room I have it in. My mother-in-law used to use this as a footstool to rest her feet on when she sat in her favorite chair, but I think I may just use it to add height to decorative displays on a shelf or table. I am really impressed with this shade of milk paint, but then again, I haven't found a color in the Miss Mustard Seed line that I haven't liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment